Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Catapult launch.

From: Hector Garcia de Marina
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Catapult launch.
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 09:07:05 +0200

I have just built one with PVC tubes, plus a "spring wire" (bungee), it would take you no more than 1h to cut the tubes.
The angle should be around 15 degrees (depending on your vehicle's angle of attack for cruising), and the "spring wire" should be
selected according the balance energy kx² = mv² , put around a 10% extra in x for counting looses.

You can take a look at my catapult in the next video for an airplane of 1.3kg, the "spring wire" (7mm of diameter) was about 7 meters from its equilibrium position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKgDojw-zzg&list=UUbAr9TbMREe-03UJjFFB_ag&index=1&feature=plcp