[Paparazzi-devel] Discrete power supply for servos and autopilot

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Discrete power supply for servos and autopilot
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:39:35 +0100

I would like to solve two problems in one go. First I like a solid mounting point for my Bixler. I don't like boards and cables to flap around in the airplane. And the rather complex power supply situation of the new Lisa/M 2.0 got me thinking as well.

I would like to build a mounting frame loosely based on this idea http://www.ilovefpv.com/hobby-king-bixler-camera-mount/ Which also contains a few elements I would really like to see mounted fix to the autopilot instead of dangling around.
That would be.
Power Supply (BEC)
Main power switch
Spektrum bind plug (Any more switches that could be useful?)
Power-Rail (accessible pins with all required voltages for accessories) at least V_BATT for ESC and +5V for electronics at least.
Voltage divider for Lisa/M 2.0 V_BATT sense.
Possibly if my PCB design foo is strong enough header connector for XBee modules. And just for good measures I'm thinking of throwing in something like a TI INA219 power monitor chip. (The INA219 is a high-side current shunt and power monitor with an I2C interface. The INA219 monitors both shunt drop and supply voltage)

I will get the PCB routed in a way that there are enough holes to attach stuff with zip ties. And so that the PCB can be broken down to a smaller size and used in non-Bixler setups. (Perforations and V-Groove at the minimal rectangular board dimensions.)
Holding points for Lisa and a place to strap the ESC on the back side.

What do you think. Any ideas?
I'm afraid I'm talking about a pure idea here. But I think I can pull it off.

I have no great experience in RC power requirements and requirements in UAV.
I suppose I should separate V_SERVO and +5V for radio, GPS and autopilot.
How much juice should I calculate for Servos? How 'dirty' are they?
I'm even thinking of a Buck-Boost setup for low cell counts. Is that actually relevant to anybody? The general architecture should probably be a switching regular for the first stage then some filtering and linear regulators for the final voltage.

Has anyone here perhaps already solved such a power supply problem? Or has some ideas on how to do it right? Ideally I would like to use not too many parts. This thing will not be sold in volumes, so I think relatively expensive fully built power supply modules can be used. I have seen them on a aprox 15x15mm PCB ready to solder on a board.

I could of course just use a factory built BEC. But that would be another part dangling around with cumbersome cables.

Part ideas? Design ideas?

Thanks