[Paparazzi-devel] Defines for Filtering Vibrations

From: Chris Wozny
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Defines for Filtering Vibrations
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:15:25 -0700

All,

After having gotten the mechanical vibrations down to a reasonable
level, I was wondering what options there are for filtering the
attitude. Since there's no silver bullet and after suggestions from
others and the wiki, I realized that I'm going to need mechanical
dampening as well as filtering in SW. I was thinking something along
the lines of a moving average filter for the past second or so and
wanted to know if there was already something in place. I've included
the plots of the data and some basic values. The range of values in
degrees for the IMU sitting still in the aircraft padded between two
pieces of Tempurpedic foam are as follows:

Phi (Roll) = -3.6512 to 8.6034
Psi (Heading) = 0.2146 to 14.0640
Theta (Pitch) = 10.1842 to 21.0818

The undampened range of values are:

Phi (Roll) = -177.7195 to 179.9998
Psi (Heading) = -79.6081 to 278.4330
Theta (Pitch) = -86.2578 to 81.7672

In the plots, I've also included a scaled throttle value just to show
when it's on and when it's off (although the undampened plot didn't
catch when the throttle was on for some reason.)

P.S. Dr. Scholl's Gel Insole or Tempurpedic foam work great for
mechanically dampening vibrations.

Best,
Chris