Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UBX vs NMEA Protocol Inquiry

From: Jake Stewart
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UBX vs NMEA Protocol Inquiry
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:49:17 -0400

I've got a spare Fastrax UP501 module.  It uses the MediaTek 3329 chipset.
(same chipset as ArduPilot modules)

There's probably a way to set it to use the MTK binary protocol.  Fastrax has
created a custom firmware though and there's no mention of anything but NMEA in
the manual.  I might have to see if I can get the OEM firmware and risk
flashing it.  As far as I can tell all fastrax does is mount the mediatek to a
board and upload a custom firmware.  There seem to be a lot of MT3329 chip
based modules out there.  I'll try to contact fastrax and mediatek and see
what's going on.  There must be an OEM firmware kit out there since it seems
like everyone has a custom firmware.

I'm really not to the point of worrying about the GPS just yet and probably
shouldn't have jumped in to the discussion about NMEA.  But I see lack of NMEA
support as somewhat of a shortcoming since every GPS I'm aware of uses it.  I'm
more than happy to work on the parser when I get to that point.  Maybe there's
more uBlox GPSes out there than I thought, but I'd never heard of them prior to
Paparazzi.  They don't seem to be available through standard distribution
channels (digikey, arrow, etc.).  As a percent of total GPS units, uBlox in
binary mode must be a very small percentage of the total.

Chris suggested they're one of the big three, but it looks like they were
ranked 6th out of GPS chip manufacturers (at least in 2009).  In the last
article I read Sirf and broadcom owned 90% of the market with the other 8 or so
manufacturers spliting the remaining 10%.

None of that really matters as NMEA is the standard and will be here to stay.
If a slightly different driver for each unit is required due to space
limitations that should not be difficult to do.  Between configuring the module
and tweaking the driver it should not be hard for paparazzi to support every
GPS out there.

Gareth, thanks for pointing out another way Megacorp (diydrones) is trying to
lock out competition.  It really looks like they're trying to capture the
market and then shut everyone else out.  Looks like they have anti-clone code
on the AP software and the GPS units. They'll probably be doing it with IMUs
soon, if they already haven't.  Kind of funny that they wrote their own binary
protocol just to lock people out when there already is one for the chips
they're using.  Doesn't get much more obvious than that.

-Jake