Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny V2.11 GPS Antenna

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny V2.11 GPS Antenna
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:54:54 +0100

Roger,
we use small (30*30mm) GPS modules with antenna (30 Euro  http://www.navilock.de/produkte/gruppen/13/Boards_und_Module/60416_NL-507ETTL_u-blox_TTL_Modul.html ) For this solution we use the TWOG.
For the tiny you have to cut  wires on the pcb.
For a  different antenna  you have to disorder the  antenna on the tiny . It is difficult to have a 50 Ohm  resistance for the coax wire to the external antenna.

Heinrich
.

Bryan Rogler schrieb:
Hello all,

I am rather new to the Paparazzi system and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I currently have the Tiny V2.11 with the integrated GPS but I will be using a modded airframe that will have a carbon fiber fuselage that fosters the autopilot and a camera. However, with this I am worried that I will not get the good GPS signals that I would like in order for automated takeoffs and landings.

Thus, I would like to try to use a different GPS antenna than the one provided with the Tiny set-up and was wondering if anyone has done this before or is more familiar with this. The current GPS antenna I have uses a SMA male connector; so my thought was to un-solder the current antenna, solder in a coaxial cable in the Tiny to run a SMA adapter to the GPS antenna (which is a 3 to 5 volt active antenna).

If anyone is more familiar with using a different GPS antenna for the Tiny V2.11 any help would be appreciated (or if you would recommend switching to the Lisa or TWOG model).

Thank you,

Bryan Rogler