Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa PCB pool

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa PCB pool
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:54:39 -0000

Hi Tilman,

I guess it depends if you want to sell it as a kit or pre assembled.

I wouldn't mind a kit, but I prefer pre-assembled.
I'd rather not spend hours building up boards - indeed, assembling an Umarim without access to a pick and place or at least solder oven would take a long time I think with the QFN packages. The loss rate could be quite high - you only need one short under a QFN and you could end up wrecking a board.

Of course if you want to get them assembled then you are in a heap of trouble. Then you'd have to buy the parts on reels and the fab will charge you for setting up the machines.

The fab place I got to do it didn't have many overheads. The tooling cost was for the PCB stencil, the same as any board. Most of the parts were free issue, so they already had them. I just supplied the BoM & gerber files, and assembly instructions and they handled everything else including procurement & testing of the PCBs. The cost was much less prohibitive than I thought it would be.

Dave from eevblog.com has a nice section on PCP production

Don't think that's legal in the UK :)...

Cheers,
Gareth