Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Disabling Magnetometer Heading?

From: Luke Ionno
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Disabling Magnetometer Heading?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:10:38 -0500

A followup to my previous question:

Looking through the code, I tried using the "USE_GPS" flag under the DCM filter, though if I'm reading things right, leaving the "USE_MAGNETOMETER" flag out should cause it to revert to GPS heading by default... Anyway, this hasn't really solved the problem... Somehow, the magnetometer is still influencing the solution, providing an initial heading, which by default is 180 deg. offset from the physical heading. I can change it by changing the MAG_SIGN values, but there's also a dynamic issue coming up; when I fly circles (~15m radius, maybe 3 m/s -- slowflyer speeds) , the heading is almost immediately corrupted, and the aircraft is depicted as flying sideways on the GCS; after landing, the heading has a residual error, typically showing between 45-90 deg. of error, which can only be cleared by rebooting. The roll/pitch solution is solid throughout the flight, though.

I'm using the Sparkfun 9-DOM sensor stick, which has the same components and orientations as the PPZIMU board, and in the past, I've used those without having such a bad time, though I always flew without the "USE_MAGNETOMETER" flag. The only thing I can think of is that I’m using an IMU-to-aircraft rotation of 90 deg. about the yaw axis, due to mounting constraints, but given that the pitch and roll axes are working fine, it annoys me that the heading is proving so difficult.

~Luke

-----Original Message----- From: Luke Ionno