[Paparazzi-devel] Different Paparazzi autopilot flavors opinion.

From: Chris
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Different Paparazzi autopilot flavors opinion.
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:03:30 +0300

I want to get one Umarim just to experiment with it, i even have a PixHawk autopilot/IMU from the first production batch that i just didn't used it at all (if anyone want's it i can sell it cheap :-) ) I think i have constructed a lot of planes with different configurations so i can jump in and say my opinion. There are planes that i need to have everything integrated and some others need the components to be mounted on different spots. Usually i need high integration on foam or fiberglass gliders but on really big airplanes like the
ones i work with lately.
i need to have the autopilot mounted in a place, the IMU elsewhere, the magnetometer in a different place and finally the GPS must be mounted on selected areas only. The basic problem i have with all available versions that is really annoying is the 18v input limit. I work with 32v and up and i ended up using more regulators that you can imagine. What i came up with was a self constructed YAPA type autopilot which can take up to 40v dc
input, has a small dedicated 5-3.3 v regulator for the autopilot only,
a dedicated 10A 5v high input voltage BEC for the servos and a 12v 3A regulator for the camera etc.
It also has the 2.4 Xbee modem integrated.
This does not pose any problem as the signal is routed to an amplifier away from the autopilot with a coaxial cable. I have used the 9XTEND right on the autopilot board without any problem as long as the antenna is located in a remote area. Also 8 channels are just not enough, more are needed for today's applications. Probable the only thing that i still cannot accommodate on the autopilot's board is the GPS,
It needs it's own place every time.
Chris