Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 21:03:03 +0000

Hi Hector,

> Here I agree with Antoine, today the "world" is moving (or it has been moved)
> to Cortex.
> And it seems it will be the new "standard" for the next following years. New
> designs,
> in my opinion, should move to this architecture.

Definitely, and once the STM32 arch is stable I'll go for it.  I guess I'm just
traditional.

> It depends on your vehicle of course, sometimes it is useful to have the
> sensors in another board, specially the magnetometer and pressure sensors.

I completely agree.  For this project, I'm using small vehicles, so it just
makes things simpler for me to have everything mounted to a single board
w/external GPS.

> Moreover, new micros come with new peripherals, you can interface an SD card
> with a high transfer rate by HW (I was waiting all my life for cheap ARM7
> with this feature xD) ,

I'd love this too!  I believe Lisa/M can do this from the wiki, presumably with
an external SD card carrier (Sparkfun do them)?  That could be a very handy
feature...

It would interesting to hear from other people on the list why they are
interested in obtaining umarims?

Cheers,
Gareth