Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim

From: antoine drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:28:08 +0200

Hello Gareth

I have a couple of comments about your post:

> - Same processor as the tiny. Known good and tested firmware,

Had we followed this reasoning in 2005, you'd be flying an AVR

> the layout will be simpler because this board is an evolution of the Tiny.

not sure what you mean by layout. As for an evolution of the Tiny, I
was under the impression that the only common part between them is the
MCU.

> - Murat was flying his precious Firestorm around with one at IMAV; if he
> trusts it with his baby, it shows a lot :)

no comment, I don't have the inside knowledge you seem to have of ENAC's team

> - The IMU is onboard.  Not on a daughter board, no extra wiring.

as opposed to Lisa/M ?

> - The performance of this board is not as good as the Lisa.
> But why do you need performance?  If you are doing crazy control/data
> fusion work that absolutely has to happen on your mission-critical
> flight processor then you are probably in a minority. Most stuff can
> happen on a separate off-board  processor, like a gumstix.

Funny, I just read that the "640K ought to be enough for anybody." was
myth-attributed to Gates.

Just my take on it...

Poine