Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Question about paparazzi and fixed wing autopilot

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Question about paparazzi and fixed wing autopilot system
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:14:57 +0100

Hi Jochen,

> -I could read in the software wish list that it is impossible to
> change individual waypoints while flying.
>  Will be this available in near future?

Currently you cannot CREATE new waypoints whilst flying; however, you
can change the position of waypoints and switch to different mission
blocks.  I've personally never missed the ability to create completely
new waypoints.

> Now i need the right autopilot, and there is my question. Which one is
> the most reliable? It should have an IMU, and of course work with the
> rc-equipment.

I believe your RC gear will work with paparazzi; although you will have
to do a very simple modification (solder a couple of wires).
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/RC_Receivers_and_Radios#Futaba_FASST_7-channel_receiver

The Tiny, TWOG & YAPA2 are very similiar; the TWOG just breaks the GPS
out onto a separate board and the YAPA has fullsize RC connectors and a
modem socket.  The Lisa/L is very powerful but may be unsuitable if you
are getting started and is difficult to get hold of.

If you can hang on a little you might want to consider a Umarim:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Umarim_v10
it's the spiritual successor of the TWOG/Tiny line and includes an IMU &
altimeter.  However, I don't know if any paparazzi vendors are
manufacturing these yet, or if there is a time-line for that.

Therefore, I'd probably recommend a Tiny, TWOG or YAPA2 with one of the
IMUs from this page:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Inertial_Measurement_Units
unless you can wait for a Umarim.

Cheers,