Re: [Paparazzi-devel] IMU's

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] IMU's
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:03:38 +0200

Hello Christophe,
after Martin has corrected  the  error in BMP-85 driver we use only the pressure for altitude estimation.
I have implemented a average over 10 samples  in the driver so that the noise is fixed in the 0.5m  range.
This is compared with the altitude error of the GPS (in the range 8..30m) a real improvement.
Automatic landing is now possible  without problems.
Last week we have flown circles with a radius of 37m with a TAS up to  27m/s.

I found a consideration in a application note (from Freescale)  that a low pass filter will give better results than calculating  the average.
Has someone the application note from Bosch of noise reduction?

Knows someone the part of the software were the altitude of the GPS is used to manipulate all altitudes of the way points when a GPS- fix occurs?

In the Version 1.7 of the DCM used for the adreino quadcopter the following changes are made:
low pass filter for the acceleration signals.
correcting the centrifugal force with the horizontal ground speed vector.
using a magnetometer (but this part has to bee improved to get exact results)

Regards

Heinrich

Christophe De Wagter schrieb:
Hear Hector,

the DCM_float implementation in paparazzi indeed only estimates attitude (called AHRS in paparazzi) but it does use GPS velocity to compensate centripetal forces and to estimate heading (magnetometer could be used)

however:

-assumes all velocity is in body X direction (= aircraft model)
-does not compensate longitudinal acceleration (change is velocity)
-does not improve GPS measurements using accelerometers (called INS in paparazzi)