Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Reply to:"automated landing (address@hidden) (Marc

From: Aka
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Reply to:"automated landing (address@hidden) (Marc)"
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:30:38 +0200

Ok,
you could try the descent control, but still 1m/s is quite a hard touchdown...
And I´m not sure if the descent control by motor is fast enough. You should try
at 50m altitude and see the log data :-) And please share!

Probably it would be a good idea to add a speed sensor and control altitude by
elevator. This is much faster in response.

In the end without an additional sensor for altitude above ground it´s hard to
get a good landing for higher wing loading planes (If you don´t have endless
runway where you could program a descent at 10cm/s). It´s all about the timing
of the flare out. Too early -> stall, too late -> hard landing... Been doing
experiments on that with high precise systems (DGPS), and even then it is not
easy.

If you look around at commercial UAS you can also see that landing is their
biggest concern... All kind of complex solutions like parachutes, airbags, rope
landing, deep stall.
And even big things like predator are often landed manually.

Marc

-------- Original-Nachricht --------