Re: [Paparazzi-devel] XBee Modem Issues

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] XBee Modem Issues
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:40:41 +0200

Our experience:

1) Use the old UART xbee programmer board and not the USB version.
2) it has happened about 2 times on 25 modems roughly that code or settings were uploaded that were unreversible making the modem useless (unless one could do ISP programming)
3) Series 2 modems can be configured to do nice hopping and routing so a plane further away can still relay its data to the ground, but that does induce significant delays (order of seconds).
4) Series 2 packs the data into chuncks that are large enough to be transmitted efficiently. Therefore we have always had better throughput with series 2 than series 1, but on the other hand, delays and for instance Joystick control are much better with series 1

-Christophe