Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa/M questions

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa/M questions
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:56:28 +1000

Hi Eric.

The first reason is spectrum:

 * For me, 2.4 GHz is the only practical spectrum for analog video tx.
   Because my FPV equipment jams WiFi so effectively, I'd be nervous
   about using it with 2.4 GHz RC.

 * My local regulator has licenced some VHF spectrum exclusively
   for RC usage. Physics of VHF are nice, even though there is no SSFH
   RC equipment down there. And as other people switch to 2.4 GHz, the
   VHF spectrum allocated to RC is becoming less crowded :)

 * It's not inconceivable that I would want to use some of that long range UHF
   equipment, although I don't need it at the moment and am unsure of the
   legality/licencing issues in my region.

My other reason is the fleet of VHF radio gear I already own. I've got
a box of spare receivers, including some fancy expensive ones, so
using one on a project effectively costs me nothing. A PPM encoder
costs about the same as a satellite, a possibly inferior but adequate
solution that I can use with my primary transmitter (or the identical
spare I keep charged in my flight box, with the other charger and
those stupid cables I paid to much for).

If I was starting again I might chose 2.4 GHz equipment exclusively
(if I could figure out the analog video issues, perhaps a higher
quality transmitter would do it). As it stands, I'll probably end up
with some 2.4 GHz equipment sooner or later, and then expect to have a
"mixed fleet" for some years after that.

Chris Gough