Re: [Paparazzi-devel] How compile Lisa L

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] How compile Lisa L
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 09:47:51 +1000

OK, I'll try :)

Starting with the command "make AIRCRAFT=DEMO demo2.upload":

"make" is the GNU make program, a kind specialized interpreter for
running a program that builds software. It should be installed on your
system (it's a paparazzi prerequisite).

make looks for a file called Makefile, which is the actual program
that tells it how to build the software. In our case, it runs the
Paparazzi Makefile (which is included part of the paparazzi sysem).
This Makefile includes other files. "AIRCRAFT=DEMO demo2.upload" are
arguments that make sense to the Paparazzi Makefile.

AIRCRAFT=DEMO means use the aircraft configuration called "demo".
There are probably a few aircraft configurations specified in the
conf/conf.xml. This file specifies a number of default configurations,
and you will add others as you progress. As it happens I don't have an
aircraft called demo in my system, I just fixed the typo in the link
to the page about that.

The second argument "demo2.upload" is the verb, it's what you are
actually asking make to do.  It means install the software (called
demo2) onto the paparazzi autopilot hardware, (as per the appropriate
configuration).

For the demo2.upload command to work, it has to be configured in the
DEMO aircraft. Also, the autopilot hardware needs to be plugged into
your computer and powered up in the correct sequence so that it run's
it's bootloader program (i.e. is ready to have software loaded onto
it).  This bit of output:

   Found USB device
   BootROM code: 2.12
   Part ID: 0x0402FF25 (LPC2148, 512k Flash, 32k+8k RAM)
   BootLoader version: 1.3
   #

means your computer can see the autopilot, which is running  the
bootloader, so if you get this far you are ready for step 3 :)

What output do you get when you run "make AIRCRAFT=DEMO demo2.output"?
Do you have a "demo" configured?

Hope that helps.

Chris Gough