Re: [Paparazzi-devel] PPM wiring

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] PPM wiring
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:54:26 -0700

Hello,

The only time to worry about 168 or 328 is when you must choose the right file to program it (done by the person who assembles it). After don't worry about it.

Let's go high level and maybe I can help you and others about this.

Your Tx outputs a combined signal with all 8 (or more) channels. The autopilot needs all of these also as one combined signal. Your Receiver has only individual channel outputs (labled 1,2,...8) ... so, how do you get each individual PPM signal to the autopilot as only a single combined signal? Well, Chris (hendrix) found us a way a long time ago using an ATMEGA to take each individual one and combine it and output it. So you'll find many intputs on the encoder and a single 3 wire output. Make sense?

How you wire from your Rx to the Encoder is your way of manipulating that combined signal. If you want Ch5 on the combined signal to be a 3-pos switch that is say ch7 on the Tx then take the ch7 output from the Rx and connect it to the Ch5 input on the encoder. Voila. Ch5 is that 3-pos switch now as far as the autopilot knows.

Best regards,
David Conger/PPZUAV