Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Flight Plan for Soaring

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Flight Plan for Soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:08:38 +0100

Hi guys,

autonomous soaring is obviously a subject that is on many peoples mind!

I like the idea of doing the processing in the ground station similar
to wind estimation. I also like the idea of using total energy varios.
Using an additional board on the UAV is to complex for me.

In a first step I head for a really simple approach. It is not my goal
to beat a manual glider pilot. It is also not my goal to be able to
stay aloft in minimal thermal conditions. I am happy to autonomously
stay aloft in good thermal conditions. Therefore firstly no data
processing in the ground station and no total energy varios.

I guess just by memorizing and processing the last circle centering a
thermal should be possible. That should be solvable on the LPC2148.
Additionally memorize a couple of waypoints where thermals have been
found and there we go :-)

As nobody really seems to have solved autonomous soaring on paparazzi
before, I will dig deeper into the code ...

Cheers, Reto