[Paparazzi-devel] Reply to:"Joystick control (Felix Ruess)"

From: James Peverill
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Reply to:"Joystick control (Felix Ruess)"
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 00:02:38 -0500

We've actually been flying this way through the joystick/datalink for quite a while. We have added a 4 channel message, and control the flight mode through button presses and the DL_SETTING message rather than through the position of one of the radio axes as is done with the PPM.

We've made a few improvements to the input2ivy actually:
  1. Moved the joystick xml configs to a conf/joystick directory.
  2. Added exponential to the axes.
3. Added trim control for the axes (which as a side effect also allows you to control an axis up and down through button presses). 4. Added support for joystick input devices (rather than just event devices). I found that some joysticks don't really work well with the event interface (the ps3 controller being one) and floods the program with movements which caused some issues.

I think there were some other small fixes as well to the flight code and input2ivy as well.

This all has worked quite well for us. We have the code in our fork at https://github.com/mantauav/paparazzi if you want to take a look.

James