[Paparazzi-devel] Camera control via joystick

From: Kurtis Kraemer
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Camera control via joystick
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:46:01 -0500

Hi everyone.

I would like to be able to control the camera pan/tilt servos using a joystick at the GCS.
After some searching, I didn't find much that I could understand or use. I was able to use some of the information posted by Paul Cox, (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Paul_Cox_Notes#Using_a_joystick_to_control_twog_servo), but it was of limited use.

I was able to read in the values from the joystick, but that's about it. I do not need to control the UAV using the joystick, just the camera pan/tilt.

I suppose I could cheat and just use another separate RC receiver and transmitter, where the pan/tilt servos are connected to their own Rx and controlled by the camera operator using a separate transmitter, but it just isn't very "elegant"...

It seems like several people have asked about joystick control and have made attempts at it, but there's not much information available on the subject. Any advice is appreciated.

- Kurtis
Ottawa, Canada