Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi-devel Digest, Vol 82, Issue 64

From: Andre Devitt
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi-devel Digest, Vol 82, Issue 64
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:46:01 -0500

Hi Felix-
  A couple points on the VN-100:

  I've used both the VN-100 firmware lib and the pprz module. I
noticed the same point that the vn100 really should be classified as
an ahrs. One issue that I'm considering how to resolve is that the
VN-100's heading state output is based on power on orientation, not
true or magnetic north. Any tips on how to cleanly work with the
offset are appreciated. I don't want to use startup gps heading as gps
heading with non-moving vehicle would seem to be not that great. Maybe
I should use gps heading at gps ground speed > 5m/s or similar?

  About the VN-100 firmware / math lib. I've spoken with the folks at
vectornav company and they are fine with contributing the source to
open source community. I think they are not familiar with OSS
community but have no problems contributing. Point of caution to those
using VN-100 Embedded Firmware Library: I've found a few functions in
there that blow up memory, I've been meaning to forward them fixes to
library but have not gotten to it yet. Mostly they are a result of
functions writing the wrong number of floats before returning, pretty
much a copy and paste neglect; other than this I've found the VN-100
EFW to be pretty good.

Andre.