Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Some advises on receiver + infrared?

From: Christian Merfels
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Some advises on receiver + infrared?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:57:20 +0100

Hi Gareth,

> Hi Christian,
>
>> could we avoid
>> making permanent changes to it with the help of the PPM encoder board?
>
> Yes, the PPM encoder board connects to the servo outputs of the receiver
> and feeds those into the Tiny, therefore you do not need to alter the
> receiver in any way.

Ah okay, so therefore I assume we have to buy some cables, connect them
to the outputs of the receiver, and solder their ends to the PPM
decoder. Seems like a good solution.

>> For the infrared sensors:
>> - which one to take? Which works flawlessly with the Tiny2.11? I didn't
>> really find any modell number or something, nor any vendor??
>
> All the Paparazzi vendors should sell them, if they are in stock (which
> is usually the best way, as they come with the plugs sorted).  If this
> isn't possible, you can buy replacement sensor heads for an FMA Co-Pilot
> unit and just change the connector.  You'd need to find the French
> distributer for FMA though.

Didn't find infrared sensors at any of the vendors listed in the wiki
(aerofu.com, JobyRobotics.com, Olimex, ppzuav, Sparkfun). I'll look for
the replacement sensor heads though.

>> Currently, the weather is rather cold and foggy so we'll wait some time
>> before learning how to fly the plane (at first without Paparazzi, then
>> make some tests on the ground with Paparazzi, then with Paparazzi).
>
> Now is the time to start learning how to use Paparazzi!  Make sure you
> are comfortable with flashing the autopilot, making changes to the
> configuration files, updating Paparazzi and tuning.  You can practice in
> the paparazzi simulator - make sure you change the telemetry file to
> tuning.xml.
> Also, read the wiki and the PDF manual (it's a bit out of date, but is
> still very useful).

You are probably right on that one. Up to now, we didn't really care for
all the configuration files etc. because we didn't fix the equipement.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, thanks for the help.

Regards,
Christian