[Paparazzi-devel] Re: Speech in GCS

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Speech in GCS
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 20:16:17 +0200

Hi everyone,

I still don't get the speech working in the GCS. I tried hard, spent
some more hours on it, but it still doesn't work. I have
speech-dispatcher listening on port 6560 and festival server listening
on port 1314:

$ netstat -ltnv
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6560          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1314            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

I can connect to the festival server via telnet and get nice voice outputs:

$telnet localhost 1314
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
(SayText "hello")
LP
#<Utterance 0xb6a72a28>
ft_StUfF_keyOK

But when I try to get a hello via the speech-dispatcher I get a fatal error:

$ spd-say "hello"
Fatal error (libspeechd) [libspeechd.c:1253]:Internal error during communication

This is the same error message I get in the paparazzi control panel
when I launch the gcs with the speech option.

And festival outputs the following SIOD error:

$ festival --server
server    Sat Oct  2 19:38:58 2010 : Festival server started on port 1314
client(1) Sat Oct  2 19:44:03 2010 : accepted from localhost
client(1) Sat Oct  2 19:44:37 2010 : disconnected
client(2) Sat Oct  2 19:45:11 2010 : accepted from localhost
SIOD ERROR: unbound variable : SET
SIOD ERROR: unbound variable : SELF
SIOD ERROR: unbound variable : CLIENT_NAME

Who can bring some light in configuring speech in paparazzi under
Ubuntu Lucid Lynx? Does anybody have speech running?

Cheers, Reto