[Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi Failsafe Features?

From: Kurtis Kraemer
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi Failsafe Features?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:57:16 -0400

Thanks for the replies.I had been following the recent discussion on the failsafe "switch", but didn't really understand how it was being used. Nathan, can you elaborate on how you are using this?

Yes, this is for a competition, but not the Outback Challenge, so the rules are different. What I have listed are the requirements we have been given so far, but common-sense rules will also be applied. I think part of the competition is to figure out these requirements ourselves.

I am using a Xbee Pro 900. I suppose the Telemetry loss is where the "heartbeat" concept comes in? The GCS sends a heartbeat to the autopilot, and if for some reason it doesn't receive it, it activates a failsafe (i.e. changes the flight plan).

I haven't really explored the possibilities in airframe and flight plan editing yet, but I'll see what I can figure out. I'm still new to this programming stuff...

I think a Failsafe section on the wiki would be useful, since safety is of course very important, and an explanation of what failsafe systems are built-in to the code would be useful, as well as a way to configure them.

Thanks again for the help.
-Kurtis