[Paparazzi-devel] ivybus issues

From: James Peverill
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] ivybus issues
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:26:00 -0400

I am developing an ivybus application which is designed to display the vehicles position (ie read the GPS message). The software will run on another machine (separate IP, running on windows). I'm having some trouble with the Ivybus. Basically it works, but I only get messages from the last IvyBus program that started. Ie if Datalink was last to start, I hear datalink. If server was last to start, I hear server... but not both.

This is easy to see if you run the simulator, and run ivyprobe on your local machine you see messages from server and sim. If you run on another machine (with ivyprobe -b <ipaddr> '(.*)'), you see messages from only one of them (whichever started most recently). Starting and stopping them in a different order will change which one you can see, but still you can hear from only one.

I'm not a networking expert, but it appears that, when a process trying to attach to an IvyBus on a different machine, it will only connect with the last program that's bound to the port on that machine. In other words, the bind() from each program prevents previously running programs on that host from seeing the broadcast from the remote program. This is consistent with the notion that only one process on the machine can bind to a given UDP port at a time.

The interesting thing is multiple programs on the same machine using 127.0.0.1 (localhost), don't seem to have the same problem - they each come up and can see each other program. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help!

James