Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa debugging

From: Eric Parsonage
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa debugging
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 02:32:47 +0930

Hi Marko

I van't solve your problem but I have a suggestion that might help you analyse
it more closely (see the bottom of this email)
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am testing the new Lisa on a quadrotor and have a few questions:
> - I use Lisa with MKK ESCs. Has anybody encountered a freeze of ESCs while in
> flight? The red LEDs on all the MKK ESCs turn on and all the motors shut
> down. This happens while Lisa is running normally. I have tested all the I2C
> cabling but haven't observed anything unusual. Sometimes red LEDs turn on at
> power up, but after a reset everything is normal and functioning properly.
> - I am new to gdb (been previously using CrossWorks from Rowley). Is there a
> quick and dirty procedure write up on how to connect to Lisa? I had a couple
> of tries to attach gdb (gdbserver) to a running Lisa but with no luck.

> - When I do not have the MKK ESCs connected to the I2C port and the autopilot
> code is running, I can freeze the code with holding the throttle stick in the
> motor on/off position (down and right) for a couple of seconds (anything from
> 3 to 20 seconds). This condition is not always reproducible so sometimes it
> needs a couple of retries (go to center position and than back to down and
> right). I could practically always reproduce the freeze in the first three
> tries when ap_mode is in ATTITUDE_Z_HOLD. When in ATTITUDE_RC_CLIMB and
> ATTITUDE_DIRECT the freeze is rarely reproducible. The freeze never happened
> when ESCs were connected to Lisa.

Is throttle down and stick to the right (right yaw on your transmitter ie do
you fly mode 2 ?) If so that action is supposed to start the motors. Now the
whole thing about an i2c conversation is that the slave device has to reply for
the master to continue. I would say this is related to the problem you have
with the mkk not connected. Now if you want to do testing and be sure that the
motors dont start try using  <define name ="KILL_MOTORS">  in the ap target
section of your airframe then you can plug back in the mkk escs. Now every time
that lisa wants to send the motors a command it sends a command to run at zero
speed