Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Selection of Autopilot

From: Eric Parsonage
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Selection of Autopilot
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:48:05 +0930

Hi Henry,

On 30/08/2010, at 5:06 PM, henry gan wrote:

> Dear Paparazzi team,
>
> I am new on Quadrotor project. Looking for a Paparazzi autopilot that are
> compability with Xsens MTi-G (IMU). Hope you all can guide me in the
> selection of autopilot hardware.

Paparazzi doesn't support the Xsens MTi-G (IMU) but does support lower cost
alternatives including open source ones. This allows more flexibility as the
AHRS code that is part of Paparazzi is open source like the rest of Paparazzi,
so if you feel the urge you can modify it.

> I have several concerns on the paparazzi autopilot.
> Example: The autopilot system able to allow the quadrotor autonomous takeoff
> and land?

There is a video of an autonomous landing with a Paparazzi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcMFRcGubs

> Able to communicate to other quadrotors to prevent collision?

This has previously been done in the fixed wing version of the Paparazzi
autopilot but not  in the rotorcraft version. You would need to implement this
if you require it, but there is the fixed wing version to use as a base.

> Able to communicate with the ground station without modification of source
> code?
Definitely yes. You can even extend the protocol very easily which gives
unlimited possibilities for your application.

> Will the source code for basic flying be provided?
Yes as long as you use a supported imu flight is no problem.