[Paparazzi-devel] Range testing for Xbee modems (2.4GHz)

From: BX Guan
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Range testing for Xbee modems (2.4GHz)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:47:05 +0930

Hey guys, this is a relatively simply question, but first a bit of background:

My plane is controlled with a 2.4GHz system as well. Tried to do some simple range testing (as in, another group member walking around with it) yesterday on my uni ground so it is full of trees and probably lots wireless/bluetooth around as well.

Now the question: of the several trials, my modems loses connection with each other at a very short range, somewhere within the range of ~100m to ~300m. I was testing the range of the RC system at the same time and it responds properly for about 1km, despite growing gradually slower and weaker towards the end. I was just wondering what exactly went wrong, as the modems themselves should have a range of at least the same if not more than the RC system. I had a 9dB gain antenna plugged into my ground modem.

And if anyone's wondering, got the modems as part of the bundle from PPZUAV. Any feedback/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bao