Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Improving documentation

From: Adam Spence
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Improving documentation
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:41:29 -0500

Hey Poine,

It's just my 2 cents worth but I think the documentation is perfectly adequate. I think what people struggle most with is reading all of it to get an understanding of everything. I think we live in a world where people don't expect to have to read the user manual anymore and can use software as it is but expecting it to be intuitive.

I think the XML configuration files are excellent but I wonder if it would be better to put together a flexible interface for the XML config files. I appreciate the challenges there are but this could make Paparazzi more accessible to many people.

I also think the other biggest issue is with Linux. The pre-installed ubuntu images are excellent but it still requires the user to be able to format or re-partition a computer. They also have to go through a number of what may appear obstacles before it works.

I love linux and am a great fan but I think for average joe who is used to Windows it's a big step. I've recently moved across to using Virtual Box as my work laptop is up to the task and have to say that everything is working out well. I wonder if it would be appropriate to maintain a virtual hard drive for virtual box.

With regards to that I wonder if another improvement would be convenience icons which perform things like SVN updates etc. I know all of the hard core linux gurus out there will be disgusted by the thought (just be happy I didn't say port to Windows!) but we have to be practical if we want to make the system more accessible.

Like I say, just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers,

Adam