Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Dumb question about Booz

From: antoine drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Dumb question about Booz
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 19:13:38 +0200

Hi Eric

The Z_HOLD vertical mode has the "feature" that the throttle stick
acts as a limiter. That is, the throttle command will be the minimum
of what the autopilot requests and what your stick requests. So if
you're hovering with DIRECT vertical control and you switch to Z_HOLD,
the transition should be smooth as the autopilot will request the same
throttle than what you were giving in manual. Nevertheless, after
switching, you should move your throttle stick up to allow the
autopilot the authority to compensate disturbances.
I had implemented this "limiter" feature when I started developing the
vertical control code as a mean to make sure I would always be able to
quickly ground the vehicle if something went wrong. I think that
feature should be made optional and am adding that to the TODO list.

Regards

Poine

ps : you may also like to try the RC_CLIMB vertical mode where the
position of your throttle switch controls your altitude in an
incremental way ( stick centered, stays where it is )