Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Maxstream 9XTend required hardware clarification

From: John Burt
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Maxstream 9XTend required hardware clarification
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:40:40 -0700

In case it is helpful, the following system worked very well for my Multiplex Cularis project:

Ground station:
  9XTend OEM module w/ MMCX connector
  CP2103 USB to Serial breakout board (see Sparkfun)
  MMCX-RPSMA panel mount cable (Digikey 1300-00023-ND)
  Lynx Tech 1/2 wave antenna (Digikey ANT-916-CW-HWR-RPS-ND)
  Hardware mounted in standard ABS project box
The antenna can be attached directly to the box for short distance flight testing, or mounted onto a mast and cabled to the box for better range.

Aircraft:
  9XTend OEM module w/ MMCX connector
  MMCX-RPSMA panel mount cable (Digikey 1300-00023-ND)
  Lynx Tech 1/2 wave antenna (Digikey ANT-916-CW-HWR-RPS-ND)
The antenna was mounted on the bottom of the fuse such that it would point down while in flight, but safely swivel back against the fuse on landing.

I'm very happy with the 9XTend OEM modules. They work great and have the range to give a solid high speed link at the distances I operate in (1-2km), and probably much farther. The USB-serial converter can provide power to the 9XTend module, but you have to dial the TX power down to 250mW. Using the same components in both GS and aircraft makes for easier maintenance.