Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Booz attitude estimation

From: Marko Thaler
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Booz attitude estimation
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:49:27 +0200

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your answer and clarification. I believe we agree on everything! ;-)

In the past I worked on a hexacopter project that used different fusion algorithms for attitude estimation based on the current flight mode. During hard maneuvers it used only gyro data but during hover or constant speed flight it used gyro and GPS fusion. With this approach the attitude estimation/ hovering performance was improved at the cost of filter complexity and CPU usage. The simple gyro + accelerometer fusion algorithm had a longer response time and more hover drift. I haven't looked at the Booz GPS code but I presume it uses it to counteract the hover drift problem.

Anyway, when I get my Booz flying I will try out different approaches and see if I can make some useful contribution to this wonderful project.

Cheers, Marko