Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Autopilot for Linux

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Autopilot for Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:02:49 +0000

> As part of the Rutgers University team entering the AUVSI UAS
> competition, Bradley Lord and I ported the Paparazzi airborne code to
> run on a Linux-based single board computer.
Excellent work!  I believe it's important for paparazzi to be able to
run on a multitude of platforms, especially given the shrinking size of
such devices and the increasing complexity of payloads (I sometimes fly
with a separate beagleboard anyway for monitoring sensor packages or
vision tasks).

Congratulations on your achievement, and good luck in the competition.
Gpsd integration would be fantastic if it helped remove the dependency
on hard-to-source U-Blox chips.

> To replace a Tiny v2, we used a Beagleboard and many devices...

I'd also be interested in developing some firmware to allow Tiny's to
act as simple IO boards as a transitional measure.

Finally, regarding extensions please consider using something like
XML-RPC - it's pretty mature, the slightly slower speed shouldn't matter
on an 500MHz ARM localhost and most importantly there are good quality
and easy to use implementations for almost all programming languages
(our university considers Java the only language worth teaching...).

I'll hopefully be able to try the code out in a few weeks, and I look
forward to it.

--G