RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.

From: gisela.noci
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:27:05 +0200

Hi Bernie.

Not bad, the 'bara' sensor. 2 problems though -  the range - only 800 to
1000mb, which will only give 2400 metes ASL. Certainly ok for fun flying,
but when you are flying near the Alpine mountains...

Also, It gives 3 meters resolution, NOT accuracy; The accuracy is 1% at full
scale pressure, ie, 1100mb. The number of 'counts' per millibar is 10.6, and
the sensor count is 3600 (max pressure) - 400mb (min pressure) = 3200
counts, for 1100mb-800mb = 300mb, which gives 3200 counts for 300mb, or 10.6
counts per millibar (8meters). 1% of FS pressure = 1% of 3600 = 36counts.
And 36 counts = (36/10.6) = 3.4mb = 27meters!!!!

So, at sea level you can be out by 27meters alt, and still be within the
sensors specified 'accuracy'
One must be VERY careful when using the terms resolution and accuracy - they
are NEVER interchangeable in my experience...

Alone, this one can never be trusted to land by...

Joe