[Paparazzi-devel] Successful first flights on Alpha 40! Throttle questi

From: Adrian Lauf
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Successful first flights on Alpha 40! Throttle question
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:02:41 -0600

Dear PPZ community,

Just wanted to report a successful set of first test flights, both on Auto 1 and Auto 2 modes, on a Hangar 9 Alpha 40 glow platform. It's mounted on a brand-new aircraft, as I destroyed an earlier model because of high winds - didn't even get to try out my settings on that airframe. Careful planning avoided disaster for the Tiny board and all avionics. In any case, the new system is running beautifully, thank you to ALL that have helped me so tirelessly - David, Michel, and anyone that I might have missed.

One question - my plane doesn't seem to respond to the throttle commands that I give it in the waypoint files. I've specified, for instance, a throttle setting of 0.7, but the engine doesn't seem to run up to that point at all. The only solution I've found is to set the neutral point higher so that the engine won't idle, and this is enough for autonomous navigation. Infact, if I look at the GCS display, the throttle is set at 0% when trying to navigate to the first waypoint (I can only confirm this on the ground, as I don't have XBee radios). What am I doing wrong? Thanks again to all of you!
-Adrian