RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.

From: gisela.noci
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:45:19 +0200

The problem with this method is that to an optical/visual sensor ( CCD
Camera or the like) with the field of view,autofocus and dynamic range of
the eyes would be quite costly and the optics might weigh a bit. Not really
feasible for low budget home grown UAV,s. Slow flyers and rotary wing are a
lot easier.

The same problem with the moiré pattern system.

 On one of our large UAV's we use a laser ranger with associated optical
guidance, located at the landing point. We fly @ 140kmh, and 'land' by
flying into a vertical net, no runway required. The A/C is 6meter wingspan,
145kg, and the net is 14meters wide by 6meters high. We hit the center of
the net within a 1.5meter circle, every time...

The A/C has a reflector on the nose, and the ground laser ranges the
approaching A/C at 3km away. The laser system also has a camera which then
'acquires' the A/C and locks onto it, and expects the A/C to fly in on a
specific trajectory, and relays flight control command up to the A/C via the
datalink. Works very well, and is used where runways are impossible. This
systems costs...70K  USD.

Joe.