Re: [Paparazzi-devel] RE: distance measurement for landing. (Chris)

From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] RE: distance measurement for landing. (Chris)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:13:39 +0000

Andrew S wrote:
Anybody tryed apply kalman filter (ekf) to consolidation of GPS altitude and
baro altitude? Like in autopilot, but baro derivative instead of calculated
vertical speed?
Yes; and I got stuck on the issue alluding to earlier; if you have to use a 14-16bit resolution AD converter and meters correspond to mere uVolts - then noise and aliasing is really an issue. Or in other words - I've not found ways to shield the AD sufficiently well in an electric (brushless/outrunner) plane. It is not just temperature drift (for which the GPS would be ideal to help correct) but the sheer jittering of the bottom 3 bits (and 4-8 meter is a lot :).

Dw