RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.

From: gisela.noci
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:26:53 +0200

What 'Baro' sensor?

The maths does not lie.

We cannot generalize when categorizing sensors in this class of performance.

 The picture I painted below is typical of a fairly good quality MEMS type
airdata sensor. For example, the Honeywell ASDX015 is a 0 to 103.4kPa
sensor, fully temp compensated from 0 to 85degC with 4V output span, and
2%/V accuracy. This means that 4V output covers the full 10,000m altitude
pressure range range and that means 4/10000 = 400uV per meter. To achieve
14cm, you need to be able to sample around 50uV. If you have ever tried this
it is not easy, esp in the noisy environment of RF modems and video
transmitters, etc

In addition, the inherent sensor accuracy is typically in the order of 1 to
2% per volt, ie, at sea level, lets say at a sensor o/p of 1volt  the error
could be 10mv, or 25 meters!!

One can amplify the sensors output, and offset the output, to generate a
large sensor voltage change for a smaller altitude change, thereby reducing
the number of sampling bits of the A/D, althought then the sensor range is
limited. This is often done, since most of our applications do not go to
10,000meters,(I suspect this is what they have done in the sensor in the
quadrotor) .....But, there is no free lunch here - you have to use
amplifiers that have very low input and output noise, very low DC offset,
and good temp stability. If you have access to a high accuracy pressure
calibration system, you could put the sensor pack in the environmental
chamber, and cycle the temp from 0 to whatever, and vary the pressure to the
sensor at each temp, and generate a calibration curve to eliminate all the
errors,ie, temp, offset, drift, etc but the cost.....(takes many hours to
do)

In essence, obtaining repeatability, high accuracy, and temp stability, to
achieve centimetric pressure alt accuracy, is what $10k sensors are all
about.

We do this type of work at our company ( we are a UAV manufacturer) and all
this come from painfull experience..

Have fun all
Joe
PS - I could not access the sensor referenced by Eldon - seems the only one
I find is a 1meter 'accuracy', and 400m or so range??