Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Questions about IMUs from PPZUAV and diydrones.com

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Questions about IMUs from PPZUAV and diydrones.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:49:58 -0800

Hello,

I saw that IMU as well. That would be great if you could do that "little bit of work" and share it. For 129.00 I'd use it myself.

The assemblies I have are for booz. However, since people are currently flying quite well with IMU and Paparazzi making the booz IMU work with Paparazzi should not take all that much work. Not nearly as much as the ArduIMU.

Since I have 10 of the booz main and booz IMU in hand the only thing I'm waiting on is verifying they work. Granted, if you designed it or work with the person who designed it I'll sell you one right now because I could really use the money to have more made. I'm sure the design is just fine but we have not yet flown with it yet. If you want to build a booz quad rotor you need to know booz motor controllers don't exist yet. You'll need to use MK ones or modify your own. If you want to fly Paparazzi with the IMU then that's just around the corner as soon as the code tested and get put in SVN.

I want to be clear. Anyone can have this magical IMU now. Buy the PCB or have them made yourself and make them. The design is out there. This is nothing exclusive to PPZUAV by any means. It just seems I'm the first vendor to take the risk and spend a bunch of money to get them into the hands of people who can fly them and validate it for everyone. It was the same with Tiny2.11 and TWOG and GPS boards etc so soon after it's verified others will offer them and they will be plentiful :)

Have patience, if you have no patience buy the ArduIMU and let us know how easy it is to make it work. No one would complain if a 130.00 IMU worked just fine with Paparazzi.

Regards,
David