RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.

From: gisela.noci
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:31:16 +0200

Baro_altitude sensors can certainly measure to that kind of accuracy. The
difficulty arises in digitizing the output ( via an A/D convertor) and
ensuring that the noise on the signal is very low. Some typical sensors give
a 0-4v output for a pressure variation from 1013millibar (close to sea
level) to around 200millibar ( a difference of 813mb, 81kPa, about
8000meters alt change). This means to achieve 14cm resolution, you need
8000m/0.014m = 57000 bits, or increments. This implies at least a 16bit A/D,
and then remember that each bit is 4v/57000 = 70uV !!!   Couple this with
the sensor output variation over temp ( not insignificant!) and the noise on
the signal, you will be VERY lucky to get 1meter accuracy, and that at a
specific temp.

Ask any real pilot - land with your eyes, not your altimeter!!!

Ground ranging (Radio-Altimeter, radar, ultrasound, etc is the only way to
go.

Joe