Re: [Paparazzi-devel] 3P switch, IR problems on Tiny 2.11

From: David Carlson
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] 3P switch, IR problems on Tiny 2.11
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:20:18 +0200

I had the 3-position working without problem with that exact same receiver/transmitter combo. So it definitely is possible. Since you say that you can get it to switch between MANUAL and AUTO1, I'm going to assume that you have everything with the PPM encoder set up correctly. You want to make sure you have AUX1 set up to be the 3 position switch on the DX7 itself. I believe there is info on that in the wiki. The next thing to do would be to check your PPM messages and see if they change when you move the switch. Add "ap.CFLAGS += -DTELEMETRY_MODE_FBW=1" to your makefile section and that should give you the PPM message box.

As the the IR sensors, your airframe config looks right. You don't need ADC_3, but it shouldn't matter that you have it. You will want to make sure you have removed the gryo sections (assuming you don't have a gyro). The first thing to check for the IR sensors will be to make sure the cable is oriented correctly. For IRH, cable orientation does matter. Then if you still aren't seeing changes, pull out a voltmeter and see if you are seeing voltage changes between ground and IR1/IR2 when you put your hands in front of them. This will determine if the sensor is working or not. If the sensor is working, it's probably a problem with the pins of the LPC. If either one of these are the case, you will need to get in contact with me and we can get it replaced.

Buzz

Adrian Lauf wrote:
Dear (incredibly helpful so far) paparazzi community,

I have two questions that are bugging me at this point: 1. I'm using a Spektrum DX7 --> AR6200 6-channel receiver. The 3-position switch seems to be going to AUX1 on the AR6200 (there is no aux2 on that particular receiver, just throttle, ail, elev, rudd, gear and aux1), and *seemed* to be working perfectly. In fact, it worked so well, I took the plane out for its first manually-controlled flight with the PPZ hardware installed. It has *never* flown this well! I spent a lot of time trimming. Even a landing in 18MPH winds was totally effortless, no discernible lag, it was reliable and transparent.

When I connect to the PPZ over serial cable, and goto the Messages tool (I haven't had any luck getting GCS to work from hardware - probably because I'm missing a flag somewhere), select the FBW_MODE (I think?) tab and look at the "Mode" setting, and toggle the switch, I can ONLY get the following two modes:

Mode: MANUAL (0) and AUTO (1). Unless I'm missing something, should moving the switch through its course eventually select AUTO (2)? Or is this something that's not displayed under the FBW tab? I'm including my radio config here - I've tried changing max/min values, all to no avail. I can never get AUTO (2) to show up, no matter what position I move the switch, nor how I change the max/min/neutral.

<radio name="AR6200" data_min="900" data_max="2100" sync_min ="5000" sync_max ="15000"> <channel ctl="THRO" function="THROTTLE" min="1000" neutral="1150" max="2000" average="0"/> <channel ctl="AIL" function="ROLL" min="1000" neutral="1500" max="2000" average="0"/> <channel ctl="ELE" function="PITCH" max="1000" neutral="1550" min="2000" average="0"/> <channel ctl="RUD" function="YAW" min="1000" neutral="1600" max="2000" average="0"/> <channel ctl="GEAR" function="HATCH" min="1000" neutral="1500" max="2000" average="1"/> <channel ctl="AUX1" function="MODE" min="1000" neutral="1500" max="2000" average="1"/> </radio>

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or is AUTO (1) the only auto mode displayed there? It would seem rather odd.

The next subject, probably easier to respond to:

2. I'm not getting *any* readings from IR1/IR2 on the horizontal thermopiles. There's some random value thrown in there, but putting my hand infront of any of the thermopiles registers no change. The top/bottom one works perfectly. On the Tiny 2.11, which ADC channels should I be using? I am including my ADC section and flags here, incase I did something terribly wrong:

<section name="adc" prefix="ADC_CHANNEL_">
    <define name="IR1" value="ADC_1"/>
    <define name="IR2" value="ADC_2"/>
    <define name="IR_TOP" value="ADC_0"/>
    <define name="IR_NB_SAMPLES" value="16"/>
</section>

flags: ap.CFLAGS += -DADC -DUSE_ADC_0 -DUSE_ADC_1 -DUSE_ADC_2 -DUSE_ADC_3 (I'm suspecting ADC_3 is unneeded at the moment, but isn't the reason for my error.)

I appreciate any insights. Folks, this community has stunned me with its helpfulness - I've never seen the like of it in any open-source community. Thanks to all of you who have tirelessly helped me get to this point. I will try to contribute a section on the Alpha40 to the wiki as soon as everything is peachy. Thanks again!
-Adrian