RE: [Paparazzi-devel] Protocol for the downlink

From: Cédric Marzer
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] Protocol for the downlink
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:43:41 +0200

For long distance flight we have tested a high gain motorised antenna and a
500mW video transmitter. We have tested it (without actual flying for legal
and security reason) at 45 km without problem.

But for security reason, we tend to do more short distance flights (in the
volume where you would fly with a regular RC plane) and in that case we can
use the fat shark headset that is connected to the futaba tx : that means
that you don't need any battery, receiver or extra aerial.

The OSD has two goals : I want to use it to do weather surveys like Martin
does : at the peak of the survey the airplane is too high and too small to
assure that you could fly it RC.
The second goal is to help my friend Anthony which is a very productive fpv
pionneer (he was one of the first to developp OSD, headtrackers, motorised
antenna and such) to study a way to make fpv safer by adding some kind of
autopilot that would stabilize the plane and bring it back. The problem is
more to develop the man-machine interface and the procedure to keep it
simple and cheap. All the hardware already exist. We have built so far
graphical and not graphical OSD with several microcontrollers : pic16, pic32
and LPC 2148. So it is just a question of choosing what info is relevant to
put on the screen and interface it with the paparazzi autopilot.

I'll keep you informed and hope the make both the code and the hardware
public.