Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: 5v onboard regulator

From: Rui Costa
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: 5v onboard regulator
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:28:48 +0000

Hello,

That board is opensource? Can we know more about it?

Regards
Rui Costa

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Christophe De Wagter <address@hidden> wrote:
If I remember well, the 5V switching regulator was introduced in the Tiny 0.9 boards to reduce the heat of the linear BEC regulators often found in small motor controllers because servos often use more power in automatic flight flight than in manual flight.

Nowadays several good motor controllers have beter power regulators than the tiny TINY board, especially in "not so tiny" aircraft. That is why we made a tiny board with only the 3.3V regulator. Servos (and the 6V compatible decade counter) are powered by the 6V motor controller BEC (in our case a 5LiPo 120Amp brushless controller with a 8Amp switching BEC). The 3.3V regulator is changed to a low dropout lt1963 that accepts much more than 6V and still works with 3.6V (unlike the 3940 on the tiny2.11!!). The board also has a serial optocoupler port to allow the RC and ADC to be located further away in case of problems. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dewagter/3830447907/

Christophe