reply to "Re: [Paparazzi-devel] 127 ways to reverse a servo"

From: chris
Subject: reply to "Re: [Paparazzi-devel] 127 ways to reverse a servo"
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:58:46 +0300

Just want to add that there is one exception.
All rc transmitters have the min at ~1000 microseconds and the max at ~2000 microseconds. For a strange reason Futaba often needs to have the throttle channel reversed at the tx side because when the throttle stick is at the lower position the servo pulse is near 2000 and when at the top near 1000 microseconds.

What i do when i set up the servos:

1) First make damn sure that the IR sensors are setup correctly by examining the IR messages
of the GCS
(read the IR setup in the wiki and especially what readings should every individual sensor give)

2) make sure that the radio file correctly describes the servo order that the rx outputs
and all servos have their min=1000 and max 2000 microseconds.
Exact values are not that critical but the min value must be on the low side and the max value at the high side. The min and max values must be the same as the ones in the airframe file.
All that should give me a good starting position.

3) Place the autopilot in AUTO1 mode, take the plane in an open space and
check if the  control surfaces  move to correct the plane's attitude
when i roll and pitch the plane with my hand and without moving any tx stick. If a servo is moving the wrong way i reverse the servo min/max values at the servo section of the airframe file.

4) Then i go into MANUAL mode and i check if the control surfaces move the correct way when
i move the sticks.
If a surface does not move the correct way i just reverse it at the tx side.
To my eyes reversing a servo from the tx is like holding the tx upside down or sideways,
the autopilot should not care at all how i hold the tx.

I am not a Guru and i could be wrong so if someone can correct my procedure i would be glad.
Chris