[Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi joystick control

From: Sami Finnilä
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi joystick control
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:08:41 +0300

Hi,

I recently ran into problems with my traditional 35MHz radio equipment and haven't been able to overcome these problems. Then it dawned to me that why not use the datalink for manual control as the data modem I have on my A/C is far superior in every respect to the 35MHz radio.

I noticed that some code already exists for the joystick control but that the code has not been designed to fully replace the traditional radio transmitter control. Well, I'm OK with that; I can later on change the code if I wish. However, I haven't been able to get even the existing code for joystick control to work at any level:

The PPZ Center gives me errors while compiling the existing Joystick code (although the airborne code compiles OK): undeclared identifiers joystick_x, joystick_y. These are the variables in the settings that are supposed to (?) store the joystick's attitude before it's sent to PPZ. It's unclear to me where I'm supposed to declare the joystick_x and _y variables and, as I'm, also, unfamiliar with Linux drivers and Linux programming in general, it's unclear to me how the GCS is supposed to interface with the joystick hardware so as to give some reasonable values to these variables. Besides, where did the throttle go; it's not in the settings file (joystick.xml) although there are references to it in the airborne code. It seems to me as if the code is only designed for simulation not flying the real deal. I'm OK with that too if only someone could explain me how I can make the GCS send the joystick input to the A/C. A nice addition would also be to be able to interface with the joystick buttons in order to change the flight mode through them.

I (at least) consider myself to be a fairly experienced C/C++ programmer so I'm not asking for someone to do it for me but, as it is, the PPZ code is very poorly (if not at all) documented so it's very hard to understand what happens and where and understanding even little bits of the code is laborious at it's best so I'd need some help on a theoretical level: how is it (the joystick control) supposed to work and how am I able to interface with a joystick in the GCS/Linux in general?

I'm fairly confident that, if someone can help me over the problems with the GCS end of the code, I can modify the airborne code to be independent of the traditional PPM radio control which would IMO be a step forward in the robustness of the PPZ (atleast in my case).

Regards,
Sami Finnilä/Safi