[Paparazzi-devel] Adafruit Xbee adapter and 868Mhz modems

From: Adam Spence
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Adafruit Xbee adapter and 868Mhz modems
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:05:26 +0100

Hey guys,

When I first started with Paparazzi I was told that the modems really should be driven from the 5v rail and not the 3.3v. As a result I bought one of the adafruit adapters but once it was build up I realised that the 868Mhz modems were too long for the board to had to modify the installation of the capacitor and 3.3v regulator.

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=126

Since running the modems I notice that the adapter board gets very hot which means a lot of current is being wasted... I wondered if this really should be getting hot or if there's a problem with my assembly etc.

To that end I was just wondering if it was safe to use the modems on the 3.3v rail of paparazzi and if not what everyone else does to interface them?

Cheers,

Adam