[Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a powered paraglider? And: Any users nea

From: Maik Höpfel
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a powered paraglider? And: Any users near Berlin?
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:01:52 +0200

Hello community,

I'm a student at Freie Universität Berlin and hoping to build an
autopilot for a gas engine powered paraglider built by a geography
professor here. It does seem like the Paparazzi project is the best
solution, but before I get started, I would like to get your thoughts
on that. I was planning on only using the GPS, because the drone is
inherently flight-stable. A few problems come to mind:

- Long "dead times" between pulling a cord and seeing a reaction
- Slow flying... could that cause problems with determining the heading?
- harsher conditions (vibration, heat, interference)

Do you think that Paparazzi is fit for such a task? Where do you
suppose lies most of the work? What has to be done?
I am already a little familiar with Paparazzi; I obviously don't have
any hardware yet, but I've seen the talk at 24C3, ran the software
simulation and think that I have a general understanding about how
things are happening. I was very impressed by the Paparazzi
demonstration at the Motodrone this year (an event that is actually
geared more towards mikropkopters).

And another thing: is anyone from the Paparazzi community from Berlin
or lives nearby? Or if you are visiting Berlin, I'd love to meet you
for a beer :)

Regards,
Maik