[Paparazzi-devel] aircraft tuning question

From: John Burt
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] aircraft tuning question
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:38:40 -0700

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of tuning the flight behavior of my Multiplex Cularis airframe using a Tiny 2.11 AP. Until recently, I had the plane flying quite well, with reasonable tracking of flight lines, circles and waypoints. I have to say, it's a real joy to see this elegant (yet cheap!) aircraft flying itself around the field.

However, I had serious problems when I recently launched the plane with a radio-direction finder pod attached (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/User:John_Burt#Cularis). Long story short, the top-mounted payload makes the aircraft unstable at low speeds and I need to increase the cruising airspeed.

There are so many parameters to tweak and I'd appreciate some guidance for the best way to do this. I assume that I need to adjust (at least) two parameters: 1) pitch during level flight, 2) cruising throttle. There are several pitch and throttle parameters, so which do I need to tweak to do this?

While I'm at it, I have another question: even without the pod, the plane tends to overcorrect a bit when navigating (especially when turning into the wind). Reducing NAV_PGAIN doesn't help very much. Any suggestions for reducing this?

Thank you!

John Burt