RE: [Paparazzi-devel] 900 Mhz or 2,4 Ghz modem (Chris)

From: mark.griffin
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] 900 Mhz or 2,4 Ghz modem (Chris)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:23:17 +0200

I would avoid high power video transmitters in the 900 MHz ish band as
out-of-band spurious emissions and the "receiver blocking effect" can
seriously degrade the performance of a GPS receiver (~1300 MHz). Some of
the 900 MHz modems are also known to have affected GPS receivers.

According to an earlier discussion on this mailing list, the Digi 868
MHz modems do not work properly with Pararazzi telemetry as they are
designed for a ~10% duty cycle and cannot achieve continuous throughput.
The Radiotronix WI232EUR 868 MHz modem works very well with the
Paparazzi system in Europe and does not degrade the performance of GPS
receivers.

Bluetooth can also be used for a datalink (~100 to 500m depending on
external antenna) and can co-exist with a Spektrum 2.4 GHz receiver.

Hope this helps.

/Mark