[Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi-devel Digest, Vol 61, Issue 16

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Paparazzi-devel Digest, Vol 61, Issue 16
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:13:53 +0200

While considering the CPU time involved in LatLonHeight computations I would like to suggest the ECEF coordinates (since the Ublox5 does not have UTM). ECEF can be converted to the NED ground-parallel plane (x,y) in meters that is used in the nav code using a single rotation and translation (the rotation matrix contains the Lattitude and longitude arithmetic's but can be computed at init-time or even compile time if the MAV does not travel more than a few 100km).

For the onboard navigation code: UTM is the fastest, followed by rotated ECEF. LatLonH is much heavier to compute, and UTM across zones [utm->llh + llh->utm] is about twice as heavy as that.

I believe that within a UTM zone the NED coordinates and UTM coordinates are only translated (infinite UTM zone). So the only difficulty lies in the ground station.

Regards,

Christophe